Ankle Orthopaedic Test: Thompson TestMay 25, 2023
The Thompson test is a physical examination technique used to assess the integrity of the Achilles tendon in the ankle. Here are the step-by-step procedures to perform the Thompson test:
- Ask the patient to lie on their stomach on the examination table.
- Expose the patient's calf and ankle, and ensure that their foot is hanging off the edge of the table.
- With one hand, firmly grasp the patient's calf muscle, just below the knee, and squeeze it.
- Observe the patient's foot for any movement.
- While still squeezing the calf muscle, use your other hand to squeeze the patient's heel.
- Observe the patient's foot again for any movement.
- If the Achilles tendon is intact, the foot should move slightly downwards (plantarflexion) in response to the squeeze on the heel.
- If there is no movement or minimal movement, this suggests a ruptured Achilles tendon.
- Thompson, T. C. (1962). A test for rupture of the tendo Achillis. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, 32(4), 461-465.
- Ropper, A. H., & Samuels, M. A. (2014). Adams and Victor's principles of neurology. McGraw-Hill Education.
- Magee, D. J. (2014). Orthopedic physical assessment. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Koulouris, G., Ting, A. Y., & Jhamb, A. (2007). Magnetic resonance imaging findings of injuries to the calf muscle complex. Skeletal radiology, 36(12), 1139-1145.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, S., & Kim, K. J. (2013). Diagnostic value of the calf squeeze test for partial tears of the Achilles tendon. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 52(4), 465-467.
- Dombek, M. F., & Lamm, B. M. (2010). Saline load test: a clinical adjunct for the examination of Achilles tendon ruptures. Foot & ankle international, 31(8), 692-695.
- Kachlik, D., & Pechacek, V. (2014). The contribution of the Thompson test in the diagnosis of Achilles tendon rupture. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, 9(1), 1-4.
- Waseem, M., Nuhmani, S., & Ram, C. S. (2018). Thompson test. In StatPearls [Internet]. StatPearls Publishing.
Try Our Measurz App FREE For 30-Days
Download Our Measurz App For FREE And Perform, Record and Track 400+ Tests With Your Clients Today.
Want To Improve Your Assessment?
Not Sure If The MAT Data-Driven Approach Is Right For You?
Get a taste of our MAT Course and data-driven approach using the MAT with a FREE module from our online MAT Course.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.